4.2.12

"They do it the old fashion way"

I remember buying my first Prada black lace-up. I was always sceptical why the high fashion houses always had inflated prices for their products. In a pragmatic sense, with design and aesthetic allure aside, you want  to have attire that you know won't fail you. Especially for something tough like footwear. And even more so when you're paying almost a grand for it.

In both my naivety and cynicism I remember asking one of the 6 foot tall model looking sales assistant how the shoes were made and whether they were stitched on or were simply glued. She looked dumbfounded. Luckily she was saved by a very effeminate and flamboyant male colleague. He simply grabbed the shoe and said "They do it the old fashion way. They hammer it in". I never knew what he meant by that. I just thought hammers are tough. Must be worth it. So I took his word for what it's worth.

The following video I guess explains it. It's LV but I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that Prada makes it the same way?



I wonder if they make it the same in China?

Anyway, moral of the story...if you want fashion advice, don't ask a girl, ask a gay man. I kid. :)

- W.A.

No comments: