5.2.12

Just for (clean) kicks






Time and time again I have people ask me, 'are those new shoes?' The answer is usually no.

Here are few tips on how to keep your shoes in great condition while being able to wear them regularly:

1. Have a good rotation.

Two ways you can do this. The first way is to have one pair that you wear regularly; that you don't care too much about. These are traditionally known as 'beaters'. You would then wear your 'better' sneakers when appropriate.

The second way is to ensure that you have enough shoes so that you don't have to wear the same pair consecutive days in a row. Even with leather shoes (such as work shoes) it is recommended that you have two pairs so that you give each pair a day to rest.

2. Clean your laces regularly (if they are white)

This applies mainly to white laces as opposed to coloured laces. Best formula for white laces is to dissolve a bit of Napisan in warm water and soak the laced in there for at least half a day. Rinse with clean water then hang out to dry. Re-lacing clean shoes with clean laces is pretty satisfying!

3. Don't do anything silly in your shoes

This is a common sense thing, but there's no harm stating the obvious. Don't play soccer, basketball or go to a messy concert or music festival in your most coveted kicks. If it looks like it's going to rain outside, don't rock your freshest pair of steps (unless of course they are made of waterproof material such as Gore-tex!). Avoid walking on surfaces such as wet grass, dirt or mud.

4. Use Jason Markk premium sneaker solution

This is by far the best sneaker cleaning product I have come across. It smells bubblegum fresh and is so easy to use on any sneakers you have. Suitable on all materials such as mesh, leather and even suede. There isn't one pair of shoes in my collection that Jason Markk sneaker cleaner hasn't been able to work on. Believe me when I say that it is worth the $50 and it even comes with a cool brush.


Buy your sneaker cleaner here:


Follow these quick easy steps and you'll keep your entire sneaker collection looking as good as new.

- A.C.

5 comments:

BustyHo said...

Can you give some advice on cleaning heels instead, Mr C.?

Lol I still haven't forgotten and I'm sure MLM would probably appreciate having her shoes bubblegum fresh after you've borrowed them :D

HelloKitty said...

But more seriously, I dislike the look of bright white on shoes. It makes you look like you don't need to walk anywhere...

Kumbaya said...

Hi A.C. Fresh,

This post really suits your name. I was wondering whether you could help me with something I've had on my mind for a while. What shoes do you recommend for sneaking around in? One would suppose sneakers, but I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Also, if one owns shoes with white soles, should one bother soaking these in napisan as well (and for how long)?

Thanks.

Sartorial 6 said...

BustyHo: Same goes for heels. Patent leather can be hard to clean. I'd suggest just not to use a bristle brush and to use what's known as a 'Magic Eraser'. Google it.

HelloKitty: I'm not a fan of bright white shoes all over, but you can't challenge the statement of clean white accents on shoes and keeping them that way. It's all in context. Some shoes look good beat up, while others look good boxfresh.

Kumbaya: Shoes with white soles can be cleaned with Jason Markk sneaker cleaner. Try it out and I guarentee you will be surprised with the results. Oh and if you want to sneak around, I'd go barefoot.....

- A.C.

brooke. said...

#1. Have a good rotation.

Fkn amen! I have had one too many customers coming back to refund a pair of ALL LEATHER shoes after 4 months of walking in them EVERYDAY! "he doesn't have another pair" COME ON! I can guarantee even the most expensive pair will wear out the same way if it's being treated like that! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!